Scotland's First Railway
The Tranent - Cockenzie Waggonway was built by the York Buildings Company in 1722. Construction started in May of that year, with local timber-wright William Dickson employed to make wooden rails, wagons and wheels for this new innovation.
The Cadell family bought the line in 1779 and upgraded it to an iron railway in 1815, before employing Robert Stevenson to make further modifications at Cockenzie Harbour in 1833.
The history of the Waggonway and the coal & salt industries it served can be learned in full by visiting the Waggonway Museum.